Thursday, February 3, 2011

Try Something New

With a multitude of attractions, dining experiences, shops, and resorts to choose from, anybody who claims “they did it all” on their Walt Disney World vacation better hope their growing nose doesn’t give them away.  Sure a park guest can hit all of the rides they circled on their maps or dine at the restaurants they chose months in advance, but to say they experienced everything Walt Disney World has to offer would be a misstatement; a little white lie; a breach in protocol; a crucial game ending error; a missed…OK…ok…enough metaphors—clearly you get my drift. 

Many guests feel they accomplish everything because they limit themselves to what is in the theme parks.  They overlook the ton of experiences not mentioned on the park maps.  Even a “savvy” park veteran like me with 16 years and 25 trips worth of experience can safely say I have yet to do everything at WDW.  Which is why planning the next trip takes several hours.  Each planning session starts with a list of 10 new experiences, ranging anywhere from finally riding the Tea Cups to taking a walking tour of the Animal Kingdom Lodge.  If I had more money (or better yet, if the wife had more money) vacationing at a new resort would top the list.  But for now I’m fine with staying at the Pop Century or All Stars and bussing over to spend an afternoon at a new resort.  Throw the money out the window and I‘d eat at a top of the line restaurant every day of vacation instead of settling for counter service burgers…  Who am I kidding?  I love Pecos Bill and Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Café.  With two growing boys to feed, I usually limit my new dining experiences.  This spring I hope to convince the wife and kids to try out the T-Rex restaurant in Downtown Disney. 

Besides new attractions, resorts, or restaurants, I try to expand my Disney horizons with entertainment not covered in the hotel reservation or park passes.  Fortunately, the extras I have tried in the past are well worth saying goodbye to a few Abes.  After committing my 10 choices to memory, I then set a goal of experiencing at least 3 of them.  Sometimes, with money being a factor, I don’t get to eat at a place like the California Grill or take a ride on Characters-In-Flight.  But rest assured I end up reaching my goal of 3.  Last summer I ate at Earl of Sandwich, rode on one of the Friendship Boats from Epcot to Hollywood Studios, and went on a backstage tour of the Light, Motor, Action Extreme Stunt Show which my brother arranged through a stuntman he gives tennis lessons to. 

When planning a next trip, which usually starts the day I’m back from my last vacation, I remind myself to “try something new”.   That slogan gets stuck in my head even when I belly up to the Chef Mickey breakfast buffet. Perhaps I should try some seasonal melon or yogurt?  Nah! Gotta have my scrambled eggs and sausage gravy.  Sometimes I listen...sometimes I don’t.  But by vacations end, I will have experienced at least three different things, sometimes many more.  It gives me something to look forward to all year round.  So the next time you’re planning a Walt Disney World vacation, go ahead and “try something new”…you’ll thank me for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment