Friday, February 11, 2011

Filming Tips


You’ve all seen the dopey guy in the Mickey Mouse tank top, with one eye behind the viewfinder, plodding aimlessly around the parks shooting video of anything and everything he passes.  He’s the same guy who climbs aboard the Space Mt. rocket with film rolling through the entire attraction even though the finished product will be a black screen full of laughing and screaming.  Yes, this is the same guy who films the right side of Small World first, then gets back in line to shoot the left side.  And yes!  This is the same guy who can’t even go from the hotel room to the food court without getting the short walk on film.
But enough about me, let’s talk about you and how you can benefit from the numerous blunders I've made while filming my Walt Disney World vacations.  Some tips may seem obvious while reading them in their printed form, but believe me when the excitement of a Walt Disney World vacation hits, the mind doesn’t always think rationally.  Common knowledge sometimes gets forgotten or overlooked.  So without further delay, I will yank back the curtain and unveil EJ SIVAD’S TOP TIPS FOR A BETTER FILMING EXPERIENCE AT WALT DISNEY WORLD.
First—here’s a “duh” moment—don’t forget to pack your camcorder and accessories.  You and you alone should be responsible for putting them in the car or suitcase.  Bring an extra battery or two.  You’d be surprised how quickly they drain.  Be sure to charge your batteries before you leave on vacation and whenever resting at the hotel.  If you have less than a quarter of power left on your battery, put in the backup before you enter lengthy attractions.  I have only the first half of Splash Mt. recorded from three different vacations because I was too cheap to buy an extra battery.
Bring along a microfiber lens cloth.  At Walt Disney World your lens will occasionally get wet.  Nothing ruins a home video more than dried water spots on the TV screen, especially when the sunlight hits the lens just right.  Keep your lens cloth on you in a safe, dry place at all times.  Wipe the lens clean before each recording session or whenever water sprays the lens.
Scenery shots are my favorite.  The best scenery shots are the stabilized ones.  If you don’t have a tripod or don’t wish to carry one or don’t want to waste time setting one up, steady your camcorder by resting your arm on a bench, railing, or a garbage can.  A still video shot looks remarkably better than a wobbly one.  I’ve taken enough bobbing footage while walking in the parks to make even a yachtsman sea sick.
Another great tip for filming scenery is to arrive at the parks early.  There will be little to no people in the shot.  Some of my favorite home videos to watch are when I arrived at the Magic Kingdom or Epcot ahead of most guests.  My camcorder captured unobstructed views of the Main Street shops and the World Showcase pavilions. 
Some recording opportunities take place in dark places—Fanatasyland dark rides, Fantasmic, nighttime parades, and nighttime scenery shots.  Some recording lights (the red ones that signal the camcorder is recording) can be annoying to other guests.  A simple solution is to place a strip of black tape over the red light.  This will keep everyone happy.
If you have a must film attraction or show, be sure to record it.  Do not…I repeat…DO NOT put it off.  During my first few visits to WDW I kept telling myself to film the Magic Kingdom from up above on the Skyway.  Each time I rode the Skyway I either left the camcorder at the hotel or I’d convince myself to film it the next time.  Before I knew it, the Skyway closed and I never got the footage I wanted.  I also put off filming Tarzan Rocks.  Suddenly, it was replaced with Finding Nemo the Musical.  So be sure to get your filming done. 
For first time visitors, I recommend the opposite.  Don’t worry about capturing an attraction or show on film the first time through.  Experience it with your own eyes.  Leave it for the second or third time around before you view it through a lens.  Not only will it be much more rewarding of an experience, but you’ll know where the action is and what should be filmed.
One final bit of advice; don’t hide behind the camera.  Have the wife, a relative, or a friend film every now and again.  It’s your vacation too and you should be seen taking part in all of the wonderful memories.  Friendly cast members will take photos or shoot video of you and your family.  All you have to do is ask.  Then hand them your camera and don’t forget to smile!
Follow these simple guidelines and you won’t be disappointed when you’re at home watching your vacation memories on TV.  In fact, it’ll seem like you’re still on vacation.   

No comments:

Post a Comment